I have to be one of the luckiest human beings on the planet to have the family I have. My parents are rockstars. My sisters are multi-talented, thoughtful, and kind. My brothers are hysterical and witty. And everyone has the absolute best time together.
In honor of her birthday, I’m going to share a little bit about Brita- the middle child. The first sister I had. The only sibling I couldn’t boss around much as a kid. The one who seemed to have found herself early on in life. Tweety.
We call Brit Tweety because as a young baby she had a big head and beautiful blue observant eyes. She was a little replica of the beloved cartoon bird. She would sit there picking her feet and taking everything in around her. Such a smart little girl, right from the beginning. Brita was actually dropped on the concrete sidewalk as a little babe, right on her Tweety Bird head. It wasn’t funny then, but she turned out alright. We all joke that maybe everything kind of fell into place in her brain. For she is one of the most brilliant people I know.
Brit is currently working for her PHD in Applied Mathematics at Northwestern University. I remember when she passed a test for advanced math and started taking classes at the high school level while in middle school. When I became a senior and she a freshman, I was so pumped because Brit would come to school with me in the mornings and then take the bus over to her campus after math class. She got to sit in my advisory with me every once in a while. I was proud to show her off.
Not only is Brit gifted in math, but she is also a talented athlete. Any sport she plays, she seems to pick up right away. Growing up, we tried a lot of different ones: soccer, karate, tennis, softball, BASEBALL (Tomboys in the house!), but Brita found her calling with ice hockey. She was a natural. She served as Captain of her high school team and then continued to play through college before her knee injury became too much and she had to give it up. Brit’s a gifted stick handler. She’s calculated. Math seems to find a place in her every day thought process and move. It’s just the way she is. Thoughtful, in every respect.
While Brit is a brainiac and athletic being, she somehow got a right brained creative talent for sketching and art. Life is totally fair, right? I took advantage of my sister’s talent while I was a bride and had her sketch some of Eric’s and my favorite places to serve as wedding table assignments. They were amazing. And took more of her time than I ever expected. And I am so appreciative! I mean- LOOK at these!
Here are a few things to understand about Brit before I continue:)
- She’s the best money saver I have ever met. I don’t know how she does what she does. I bet that thing about math and her need to count everything might play a role in it… And her ability to make things happen for herself.
- The only thing she is bad at (okay wait- not bad… just not REALLY GOOD at) is dancing…
- She notices everything. Like the arch of your foot or the the way you walk (I wonder if that gene came from Mom or Dad?!) If you ever catch her staring, it’s because she’s observing. Putting each puzzle piece into place.
- It is impossible not to like her. I don’t think there is one single being who would not enjoy her company.
- She’s a brilliant teacher. I think this is because she never makes you feel dumb. She’s always phrasing things in a way to make you look at them differently. She doesn’t raise an eyebrow or laugh when you say something stupid… (I’ve said enough stupid things in my life to really appreciate this quality)
- Brit is level headed. She thinks realistically about things and calculates situations. She isn’t oversensitive. She’s one of the first people I call when I’m upset or need to vent about something. She may not have experienced a similar situation but she always knows how to pick it apart and look at it from different angles. I always have an “Oh…. that makes sense” moment. Thank you Brita, for being such a wonderful listening ear.
- She talks with her hands in a matter of fact way just like my Dad. She is also the spitting image of him.
- Her ideal Friday night involves board games. And maybe a little jam session listening to one of her many favorite bands including Need to Breathe.
- She has a great love for the outdoors. She used to go canoeing with our cousins every in August while growing up. She loves to camp, hike, and travel.
- I wish I had a piece of her writing to share with you, because you would be blown away with her articulation, vast vocabulary, and way with words. Honestly Brit, I envy you for this one. You’re one of the most well written people I know. And I love your storytelling.
- Brit has a hard time telling a joke without bursting into a fit of laughter before the punch line. It’s pretty funny.
- Unlike her very anxious sisters who need to discuss our feelings at all times, Brita seems to channel her stress in different ways. Silent. Observing. She’s so quiet about it, I often think that she has zero stress in her life (which is silly of me to think after seeing her insane math problems that involve LETTERS instead of numbers…. #WHAT?!). Of course she has stress, but as I mentioned previously, Brit is very level headed and I think this plays into the ways she deals with it. You can always talk to me, Tweety! :)
- She is one of the most beautiful people inside flowing out. You can just feel her happiness when you’re with her. She wears zero make up most of the time and guess what? She never needs to! Brit is CONFIDENT in her beauty. CONFIDENT in her intelligence. CONFIDENT in herself. And that is one of the best things about her. She’s happy being who she is.
I could probably write a list for days, but then you’d miss your weekend! I just want to finish saying…
Brita, thank you for being such a wonderful sister. Most of my life I have looked up to you like you’re the older one. You’ve been a voice of reason for me through & through. Your confidence, work ethic, sense of morals, kinship, friendship, & zest for life inspire me daily. Your inability to control yourself from singing in the car when a song you love comes on shows me how much you just love living in the moment (even though sometimes I want to punch you in that moment! ;) Girl, jus’ kiddin.
I love you so much, Tweety! #sistasista #forevaeva
Sharon, Grete, Margie, Marge the Barge, & Meg